Thursday, February 25, 2010

Night 14 of Olympic Meals - Netherlands!

Yes, 2 posts in one night, and this will probably be my last Olympic post, food wise, since I'll be at Croptopia all weekend (don't worry, I'll squeeze in some Olympic TV time!), Netherlands!  The husband and I both agreed we would like these better if they weren't so oily...and the husband also now states he can't wait till I start cooking "normal" food again next week - he would like Italian and Mexican every other night ;)

Netherlands = Fried ham and cheese roll ups!

You will need:

  • thin bread - I used Rye, maybe not the best choice as it isn't the thinnest
  • 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
  • 2 tbsp dijon mustard
  • deli sliced ham
  • vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup flour for coating
  • 1 egg, beaten, with 1 tbsp milk
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • toothpicks
Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil over medium heat.  While that is heating, mix together the cheese and mustard and spread, or in my case it was more like, press it onto one piece of bread.  Top with one piece of ham, roll up, and pin with a toothpick or two. 

Coat the sandwich with the flour, then dip in the egg/milk mixture, coat with breadcrumbs, and put into the oil.  My pan fit 4 of these, so I made 4:)  Flipping a couple times, they took about 10 minutes to crisp up. 

Crisp up they did, but they stayed mighty oily, even after paper-towelling them off (is that a word?).  Too bad, b/c I think if I cooked them like I was making a grilled cheese just with Pam spray, they would've been wonderful with this type cheese!  I'll definitely make them again, just with sliced Gouda and no oil!



I hope you have all enjoyed my Olympic meals and posts!  I am so excited about figure skating tonight, and then Croptopia this weekend!  Please keep posting and sending suggestions for meals from different countries, and I'll be back to posting next week!

Have a great weekend and try to stay dry!  We are getting crazy rain here!  Better than snow!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Chey, I have an award for you!!

http://justlikegrandmascooking.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-101-blog-award.html

The Scrappy Tree said...

Toasted sandwiches! Can't go wrong :) I prefer mine without butter when I make them so I understand them seeming a bit oily!

CDC said...

thanks, alison! when i wake up (late nights at croptopia!) tomorrow i'll accept and do it:)

scrappy, im with you! and i got my prize in the mail over the w/e while i was gone - love it! thank you!!