Monday, February 22, 2010

Night 11 of Olympic meals - Jamaica!

Hello all!  Good guesses, but how could I not throw in the Cool Runnings country??

I'm sure you all know by now, CCC likes to keep Mondays very simple - I don't always have a lot of energy after a full Monday at work, and I just want to relax mostly, but we can't starve over here...so I cook:)

Tonight = very simple!  Jerk chicken wings with leftover white rice and green beans, a veggie medley, and, to much excitement, fried plantains!  I can't say for sure the plantains are "Jamaican" but it seems like in every Caribbean country I go to, there are always delicious fried plantains. 

For the wings, I just bought about 3 lbs of chicken wings and marinated them in Caribbean Jerk sauce, store-bought (remember, it's Monday!) and some soy sauce all day while I was at work.  When I came home tonight, I tossed them on a rimmed baking sheet and broiled them for 45 minutes in the oven.  So yummy and crispy; the husband was a real fan!  I'm more of a BBQ wing fan, and I'd like to try to make my own sauce or rub for these next time...but it was Monday and my lazy night!

Onto the plantains - are they supposed to be so hard to peel??  I had 2, so I peeled both and cut them into 1/2-1 inch slices.  I heated a fry pan over medium heat, adding 2 cups of vegetable oil.  Once the oil was heated I added the slices and cooked them in the oil for 20 minutes, stirring/flipping occasionally.  You want them brown, but not too brown, b/c then they'll get too chip-like.  After the 20 minutes, add a 1/2 cup sugar, stir it around, turn the heat to low, and simmer the plantains for another 10 minutes or so.  Drain on a plate in paper towels and enjoy!  Mine got a little too crispy, so next time I'd cook them a little less, but they were great and I'm so happy this whole meal was so easy!

 

  

Any guesses for tomorrow night??  Why are they interviewing Michael Phelps - show some figure skating!  And why does there have to be a chance of snow everyday for the next 5 days?!?!  Have a good night, all!

6 comments:

efdamore said...

Mexico tomorrow night? No way I'm making it to see the final ice dancing tonight. I agree, no need to show Michael Phelps. do they know people go to work tomorrow????? too late.

melissa said...

grrr! i already guessed jamaica! does it still count? I say Korea next!

Genevieve said...

This is such an awesome idea! I've been drooling over your Olympic recipes for the last few days:) I love the variety in the recipes...my favourite so far is the Apricot, Brie, and Pecan Tarts. Yum!

Alessandra said...

weeee trying to follow the games but don't have much time, too busy packing for a looong trip...and a bit sad because Italy is not doing that well at these olimpic games. Sight!!! :-(

When I read the word Jamaica I had a heart attack!!

I think I get most of my updates from you!!!! ;-D

ciao

Alessandra

CDC said...

Mom, you better stay awake tonight for women's - like I told Paul, there will be a quiz!

Sorry, Melissa, have to guess it the night before!

Thanks Genevieve! It's been a ton of fun!

Sorry about Italy, Alessandra:( Where is your big trip? I hope you dont mind getting my updates:)

The Scrappy Tree said...

Simple and yum is good! Particularly on a Monday ;)