Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Night 12 of Olympic Meals - England!

I bet a lot of you are saying finally!  Yes finally, England!  I couldn't do all the expected countries in the same week;)  So what did I make - Bangers and Mash!  I'm hoping one of my mom's best friends, who posts comments on here, tries my recipes more than anyone else, and sends me dessert recipes will critique me and tell me how it's really supposed to be made since she's from England!

What you'll need:

  • Enough mashed potatoes for 6 servings
  • 1.5 lbs beef sausage
  • 1/2 cup diced onion - my pieces were a bit chunkier
  • 1 (.75 oz) packet dry brown gravy mix
  • 1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350.  Make mashed potatoes as normal, or if you're like me and for some reason can't make good mashed potatoes, make them out of the box:)

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage in about a 1/2 inch water, sprayed with Pam, covered, until heated thru.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Fry the onions in the leftover water until tender. 

Mix gravy packet with 1 cup water and add to the skillet with the onions.  Heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Once thickened, turn down heat to low and simmer for about 1 minute to let it thicken even more.

Pour half of the gravy mixture into the bottom of a 9x9 pan.  Top with sausages, then the rest of the gravy mixture, then the mashed potatoes.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes start to brown a bit on top.

Yum!  The husband can't wait to go tell his English boss what he had for dinner tonight;) 

 

  

I'm very nervous about tomorrow night!  Any guesses?  Is anyone else soooo tired from staying up watching these Olympics?!?  I love them, but I can't wait until I can start going to bed early again!  And catch the finale of the Bachelor;)
See you all tomorrow night:)

9 comments:

efdamore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CDC said...

I found this online, but I'm sure it was probably cheated with the packet gravy, etc...I can't wait to see what she says/suggests for next time, and other English meals!

And mom, I'll give you a hint...I've been trying to do countries that are known in the Winter Olympics...Mexico isn't really one of those...

cookies and cups said...

This looks good! My dad is from England, so this makes me think of all the food that he loves!

Anne said...

Brought back memories Cheryl, my Mum use to make this during ww2 when we had strict rationing,, don't think I have had it in over 50 years !!!! good job, I made "Russian dump" yesterday, I am really enjoying your creativity

daisychain said...

We normally serve it the other way up, so the mash is on the bottom, but this is English fare at it's best!

melissa said...

mmb is going to be sad you didn't invite him over for dinner! ;-)

tonight I say....Ireland!

Pam said...

Total comfort food. It looks delicious.

CDC said...

thanks everyone!

wow mrs. burgess! did i make it right?? how did you like russian dump?

daisy - oops - the other way around would make more sense:)

you could easily make this for mmb, melissa!

thanks pam!

The Scrappy Tree said...

Bangers and mash, classic Brit fare :) another option instead of the gravy is to have bangers, beans and mash - baked beans in tomato sauce? MY mum used to make us 'volcanoes' out of it when we were kids!