Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pizzzzzzzzzzzza! And, what to make when you're only cooking for YOU!

Hi everyone!  There were no cards tonight as the husband is out to dinner with some friends.  So what did I eat for dinner...Wendy's!  I love Wendy's, and I've cut back immensely in eating fast food, but I just didn't feel like cooking something just for me tonight.

What do you all do when there's no husbands, kids, friends, etc to cook for and it's just you?  Do you cook something?  Eat out?  Eat a salad?  Eat just cheese and crackers (I've been known to do that), or does this not happen to you?  At this point, I can't wait to make salmon for both of us tomorrow night -  I missed cooking tonight, and really won't cook again after tomorrow until Sunday b/c of the bday...what will I do??

Before I realized I wanted to find out what you all do when you're the only one around to eat, I planned on blogging about this awesome pizza I had over the weekend, so here it goes!

Has anyone ever been to a restaurant numerous times, really enjoyed each meal you had, but then one time you have this meal that is unbelievable and you can't wait to either 1.  try to make it just like them or 2.  go have it again?  That was me this weekend!  We frequent La Cantina a lot, probably even too much, since there are so many other restaurants around us.  The husband always gets the Prime Rib because he says it's the best he's ever had, and if he doesn't get it, he'll regret it.  I usually get either the chicken or shrimp cacciatore, and sometimes chicken parm or even steak.  This was the first time I tried their pizza, and I went with a grilled chicken and carmelized onion pizza.  I usually get this type pizza at Bertucci's and never thought anything would beat it - this did it!  The crust where the toppings were was so thin, yet the crusty part at the end was thick, but fluffy, and yummy!  The red sauce was full of taste, with a sweetness to it that I loved!  YUM!  I wish I had some of those leftovers right now!

I just had to rave about this pizza!  What are you favorite types of pizzas?  Any special hints about how to make it well at home? 

Have a great night everyone!  I'm off to find recipes for next week and to figure out more "food card" ideas for the husband:)



9 comments:

Meghann Andrew said...

My hubbie & I always make pizza at home, b/c it is so much better than take out! We make the crust in our breadmaker. My favorite toppings are pesto (instead of tomato sauce), chicken (sauteed with some garlic in olive oil), red onions, kalamata olives & a bit of fresh grated mozz. It is so yummy and flavorful! Reminds me of being back in Italy!

Velva said...

I could easily eat pizza everynight. However, when I am alone, I have a habit of having a big bowl of cereal. I love to cook but, would be just as comfortable in my PJ's eating cereal.

melissa said...

wendy's two days this week?!! happy birthday to you!! ;-)

i like to partially cook the dough with a little olive oil before topping. usually with fresh tomato, basil & mozzarella. also, a little olive oil on top! yum yum!

Marla (Family Fresh Cooking) said...

OK...You r killing me here. I am so hungry right now and a slice of piping hot cheesy pizza sounds so awesome! I love thin crusts so I can taste all the flavors of the toppings. Grilled chicken and caramelized onion sounds great! At home I usually make myself and the kids tortilla pizzas. YUM!

Anonymous said...

all this talk of pizza.....it's 11:20 good night

The Scrappy Tree said...

Friday night will be pizza night over here! Got me thinking about toppings - yum!

CDC said...

Meghann - the bread maker, cool! someday i'll have to get one of those! sounds like a great idea!

Velva - love the cereal for dinner! it's quick and easy!

Melissa - yummy! And yes happy bday to me with wendy's 2x;)

marla - tortilla pizzas, yum! how do you make them?

who's anonymous?? whomever you are, hope you ate pizza at 11:20:)

scrapy - yay about friday! have you picked toppings yet??

Melissa said...

Hey, Wendy’s cheese burgers are pretty darn good! :)

When I’m alone, which is rare, I tend to make things that Steve will… well, he’ll eat them but doesn’t like nearly like I do, like spanakopita or shrimp dishes or cheesy sandwiches/panini with vegetable soups.

As for pizza, I love the way you described theirs – thin where the toppings are, but with a bit of dough on the ends. Perfect. I just started making my own pizza at home in the past few months, after failing at it miserably a few times in the prior year, and I highly recommend this dough/recipe that a friend of mine sent me: http://onceuponaplaterecipes.blogspot.com/2009/11/fast-thin-and-crispy-crust-pizza.html. I make Steve’s with sausage and red sauce from the Italian market near me and I make mine with homemade white sauce, garlic and spinach.

CDC said...

I can't refuse Wendy's:) The pizza sounds great, minus spinach for me;) I can't get a good taste for it :(