Monday, January 11, 2010

The husband pulled the taco card!

Sooo...in the husband's Christmas stocking I included some food...one being a packet of taco seasoning.  I told the husband that, with one day's notice, he could pull the "taco card" and instead of making the "planned meal," I would make tacos instead, one of his, well ours, fave meals.  Out came the taco card Sunday after church!  So instead of chili cornbread casserole, tonight was taco night!

I have no special secret to tacos, I make them just as the package tells you to, making sure to grind up the meat into really really fine pieces. 



Does anyone have any taco secrets?  How do you make the shells?  How do you like yours?  I like mine with the meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and avocado...and sometimes taco sauce.

Does anyone else play any "food games" in regards to meals or meal planning?  Do you let your significant other and/or children pick meals for the week?  I love my menu, and like I've said, I don't deviate often, but it was fun to see the excitement when he pulled out the taco card:)  I'm thinking I'll do more of that stuff for V Day:)

This is a slow cooking week for me, as it is my bday week - the BIG 3-0! - and just some other stuff going on.  What else would you guys like to hear about?  Restaurant reviews?  Cookbook reviews?  My fave top chef(s)?  Let Chey know:)

Hope you all made it thru your Monday - 4 more days till the weekend!

19 comments:

Alessandra said...

Hi Chey, thank you for the visit? I read on you profile that you do scrapbooks, do you ever blog about it?

Ciao
Alessandra

CDC said...

Hi Alessandra! Yes, sometimes I blog about my scrapbooking, and I have some pics on my Facebook page. Maybe I'll blog about that one night this week since it's a slow cooking week and I'm STILL working on my Christmas album:) Thank you for the visit and post!

efdamore said...

Have you used your avocado slicer yet?

CDC said...

Yes - it worked well on one side but not on the other, I think because of the size. I liked how it pre-sliced it though!

Pam said...

Happy 30th! I like the idea of the taco card - my husband would pull the carne asada taco card weekly.

melissa said...

oh the taco card! yum! fajitas on wed, can't wait! 3-0, here you come! Can't wait to celebrate :-)

CDC said...

Thanks, Pam! The husband would pull this card every week if he could too, but it was a one time thing:) Like I said, I think I'll do more for Vday...which I shouldn't post on here b/c he may be reading;)

Fajitas yum! Are you using my recipe??? Cant wait to celebrate either:)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

The hubs pulls the taco card all the time. It's the one meal that doesn't make me cranky to cook. Ah ha ha

Sook said...

Taco sounds so good right now. Mmm... :)

Judy said...

I haven't made tacos in years, now that we have a real Mexican restaurant in town. I don't like the boxed taco shells -- prefer the soft shells which freeze beautifully. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Unknown said...

what a fun idea!! we love tortillas here more than the cruchy tacos! but still yum and quick and easy!! i have just prepped dinner giving me a few hours to rest up before putting in the over (maternity leave has its advantages) tonight we are having salmon, wrapped in back topped with lemon/herb/chill butter and onions all wrapped up in puff pastry! not so well it will turn out but fingers crossed!

Alison said...

That's a neat idea! My kids would love a taco card, but not my hubby...he's not a big fan of tacos...his card would be a grilled steak card! We actually had tacos last night...spaghetti tacos! The kids wanted them and they actually aren't half bad!

High Heels and Aprons said...

I love tacos - ridiculously easy and quick for those busy busy nights!

Happy Birthday!

Ally @ High Heels & Aprons

The Scrappy Tree said...

Happy Birthday Chey! I am hitting the big 3-O later this year - sssshhh!! lol
My df thinks the only meal he can make is tuna pasta (with garlic and cheese) - I pull that card when I feel like a night off!

CDC said...

First of all, I can't believe I'm going to be the big 3-0 this week! Secondly, thank you for all the comments on this post - now I know it's fun not only for the husband, but you guys too!! :)

Kristin - it's hard to get cranky making tacos since they're so easy, huh??

Sook - did you have any tacos??

Judy - lucky with your Mexican restaurant in town, those are the best! Thank you as well for visiting!

Leanne- the salmon sounds awesome - how did it come out?? I hope you were able to relax a bit today!

Alison - cards for everyone in your family would be fun! What are spaghetti tacos??

Ally - tacos were perfect for a Monday night after a long day at work! Thank you for the bday wishes!

Scrappy - yes, another 30-er! I need to tell the husband I should get a card too for something - he makes really good crispy chicken!

Thanks again everyone! I love all the comments and chatter:)

Melissa said...

Ha. The taco card. That's really cute. Steve never helps me menu plan, it's definitely my own thing. Perhaps I should give him the equivalent of a taco card with one of his favorite things...

As for tacos, I tend to lightly fry corn tortillas and in the last year, I have taken a liking to having them as my husband (who is Mexican) does - no lettuce, cheese, guacamole or sour cream, just an onion, cilantro, tomato mix, along with a saucy salsa of some kind. And of course, cabbage and lime with fish tacos. One of the best and easiest ways to make tacos - put pork butt (or shoulder or almost any other cut) in the slow cooker with spices and herbs and just let it go until it's about falling apart. Then shred and serve in the tortillas. Delicious!

CDC said...

Wow Melissa, thank you for all of the taco ideas! What fish do you find works best for fish tacos? I've used cod before and it worked well:)

I usually plan the menu myself too, but I'll ask the husband if he has any requests:)

Melissa said...

Cod is perfect!! It really is. But since I can't seem to always find it, I buy halibut. But then the expense keeps me from making it too often. Still, a lightly fried fish piece with cabbage, lime, pico de gallo and salsa is so darn good, I have to do it at least a few times per year.

And I just read another article on Serious Eats that talks about how the best taco meats are the ones that have been braised/slow cooked, particularly pork and beef. I agree wholeheartedly and I seriously recommend it.

CDC said...

I'll have to try the slow cooker way for taco meat - thanks!!!