Tuesday, December 22, 2009

And the party cont'd with...Meatball Bubble Biscuits!

I was very very nervous to make these - the steps on the Pillsbury site seemed alittle confusing to me, but once I was able to wrap myself around it, I was very pleased with the end result!  I will be making these to bring to the husband's parents' house for Christmas Day:)

You will need:

  • 1 can (12 oz if you can find it which would be 10 biscuits - I could only find cans of 8) Pillsbury Grands Jr Golden layers refrigerated buttermilk or flaky biscuits
  • 10 frozen, but cooked already, italian style meatballs, thawed, and cut in half - I live by one certain brand, but I can't think of the name now - I'll have to look in the freezer:)
  • 2 sticks of string cheese, each cut into 10 small pieces
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp italian seasoning - I used oregano because that's what I had on hand
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup marinara sauce, heated, for dipping - even though the husband wants me to try it the next time with the sauce inside...we'll see:)


  • Heat oven to 375.  Separate dough into the correct # of biscuits that it says on the can - in my case, it was 8.  Then separate each biscuit into 2 layers (alot easier than I thought it would be).  Press each down so it's about 3 inches across.
  • Place one meatball half, cut side up, and 1 string cheese piece in the center of each dough round - I guess this is where you would put a small amount of sauce inside them if you chose to go that route.  Wrap dough around the meatball and cheese, making a ball, and pressing the edges to seal.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet or cake pan, and make sure they are seam-side down


  • Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese, italian seasoning/oregano/whatever seasoning you'd like and garlic powder


  • Bake until golden brown.  The Pillsbury recipe says 20-25 minutes at 375, but at 10 minutes, the bottoms of mine were already getting very browned.  I reduced the heat to 350 for the next batch and they took about 13 minutes = make sure you watch them!!  All ovens are different, and obviously mine was feeling a bit crazy that day!


See those big ones, the bottom 3 - I tried to use other frozen biscuits I had - I tried microwaving them to thaw them, and then separating them, but they were way too gooey and way too much dough/not bite sized like I wanted.  Definitely stick with the Jr Grands.

I hope they turn out this great for Christmas Day - fingers crossed!

I hope everyone is also enjoying this time leading up to Christmas:)  Tonight I wrapped, finished some cards, and watched It's A Wonderful Life and it felt so good:)

Back tomorrow with another party hit - someone told me they ate 9 of them!  See you then:)

6 comments:

FEDERICA said...

Wish you a very merry Christmas! I'll be back online early January.
Hugs & Love
Federica

Anonymous said...

Reading all your good recipe's makes me want to have a party

CDC said...

See you then, Federica! Anonymous, you should throw a party then!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I love the sound of this...but I love meat in pastry....or dough! Yummy

CDC said...

Kitchen Butterfly, they are so tasty! Tonight when I made them for Christmas Day, I added some sauce on top of the meatball and cheese inside = delish! Happy Holidays!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Ohhhhh, those sound amazing!