Monday, December 21, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Dip, from Mike Fuller (online resource)

I never had had buffalo chicken of any kind until I met my husband - he loves it, I bet he could eat that, and bacon, everyday, if it wouldn't ruin your body;)  I now love it too, and obviously some places are better than others, but it's a good ole standby for an appetizer when we go out to dinner and can't make a quick decision.

I had never had this dip until someone else brought it to a party once, and then someone else to another...I then realized I must try it!  It contains ingredients I don't like at all, but all mixed together I do:)

You will need:

  • 1 lb of boneless, skinless, chicken breast - I used the smaller cut ones
  • 1 cup of ranch dressing (I used Ken's)
  • 1 cup of Frank's Original Red Hot
  • 1 8 oz block of cream cheese 
  • 1 package of fancy shredded cheddar cheese - atleast 12 ounces
  • green onions
  • Boil your chicken breasts on the stove in a medium to large sauce pan, on medium heat.  My pieces took about 20 minutes to boil.  In the meantime, pre-heat your oven to 350.
  • While the chicken is boiling, cut the cold cream cheese into cubes and place them into an 11.5" x 8" x 2" pyrex dish - I actually used a 13x8 baking dish instead.  Lightly mist the dish with buttered flavored Pam spray


  • Evenly sprinkle the fancy shredded cheese on top of the cream cheese cubes
  • Pour the dressing and red hot on top of the cheesy mixture and bake, uncovered, for about 7-10 minutes


  • Once those minutes are up, you'll want to stir the mixture and place it back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes
  • At this point, your chicken should be done boiling.  Drain the water, and then cover the chicken with cold water - this will help you shred the chicken.  I then hand-shredded the chicken into a bowl.


  • After the cheesy mixture is done baking, stir it up really good, to make sure all of the flavors are spread throughout.  Add the chicken and stir some more.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake an additional 20-30 minutes.
  • Once baked, you can serve it right in that Pyrex dish, or transfer it to a nice bowl of your choice:)  Again, don't forget the food you'll be dipping in it!  


There were about 20 people at the party, and this was placed in the living room where most of our friends gathered (where the bar was;)) - I left it with the celery, carrots, and pretzels (put the bread on the regular dining room table where we were putting the rest of the food because of space) and it went like that!  I'm so glad everyone enjoyed it, because I enjoyed making it - the smell of it baking those last 20-30 minutes is unbelievable!  2 thumbs up to this recipe!  Next time I may make it and put it into a bread bowl!!

Since I have to get up for work in 6 hours, I'll be saving the rest of the recipes for tomorrow night - write to you then:)

 

4 comments:

efdamore said...

Looks and sounds yummy.

sharyncarlson said...

Yummy! I just tried something very similar for the first time last weekend and it was delicious. Same ingredients, except it called for canned shredded chicken. I'm sure yours is even better with the freshly cooked chicken :)

Anonymous said...

I can attest first hand that this was AWESOME! I make a similar buffalo chicken dip, but I think I'll be making this one from now on! Thanks for sharing Cheryl!

CDC said...

Ahh Sharyn, just because it was canned shredded chicken wouldn't matter that much - the chicken was so easy though:)

Thank you so much for the kind words, Jami! I'm glad you enjoyed it - but it was probably cold by then - I should've heated it back up for you guys! Hope to see you and Tony soon - we don't see you guys nearly enough!!