Saturday, February 13, 2010

Canadian Dessert that was supposed to be for night one, but became a snack during Day 2, oops! Nanaimo bars!

Just a quick post about the Nanaimo bars as I'm too busy scoffing them down to type;) Yum yum YUM!  My only "complaint" is that adding the chocolate to the top, you'll see when you read the recipe, makes them too sweet, even for me - once took that part off, I enjoyed them much more!  I'm loving learning about new foods and recipes!

Nanaimo bars are 3 layers, so by layer, you will need:

First layer:
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
To start the bottom layer, grease a 9" pan.  Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, egg, and vanilla in a medium sized sauce pan and heat on low, stirring continuously, until the mixture becomes thick.   Add the graham crackers, coconut, and walnuts to that mixture, stirring to combine, then pour into the pan, and press into the pan. 

 

For the second layer, you will need:
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 2 tbsp instant vanilla pudding powder
  • 3 tbsp 1% milk
Mix together all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and beat until creamy.


Spread this mixture over the graham cracker mixture.  


Refrigerate for one hour.  After that hour has passed, melt 1 tbsp of butter with 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate morsels in a small sauce pan - if you're better than me, you will take it off the heat before it gets too hard and be able to drizzle this mixture over the bars,  If you are like me, you will get distracted by Celeb Rehab on VH1 and let this mixture cook a little too much, and end up having to put the chocolate "drizzle" on more like crumbles;)


Refrigerate for another hour atleast, cut, and enjoy:)  Like I said, the chocolate on top is a little sweet for me, but I'm thrilled with the other 2 layers - I'm off to eat another one now:)   Thanks, Canada!

4 comments:

Anne said...

Your recipe's are incredible Cheryl, I am SO enjoying them

CDC said...

I'm so glad! I love trying them out! Remembering to take the pictures while I cook is the hard part;)

sharyncarlson said...

This sounds really yummy. I love coconut; could you really taste the coconut coming through?

CDC said...

Once you scraped the chocolate off the top, yes:)