Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CCC is back - Aruba pics, a restaurant review, and what's coming up!

Bon Bini, everyone!   So the husband and I are back from Aruba - tanned, well sort of tan for me, rejuvenated, and ridiculously in love, even moreso than before if that is possible:)  It was one of the best trips of my life and I can't wait to go back someday!  From the amazing food and drink, to basking in the Aruban sun, or under a palapa reading Revolutionary Road, to Carnivale, to etc etc etc ;)  Here are some of my fave pics:

 

  

  

  

  


 

  

  

 

So, more than a few, I apologize;)  
I must say I was pleasantly surprised, even thrilled, with Aruba.  All of the people were so nice and helpful, the weather was perfect, as there was always a breeze, and the Aruba Ariba's, ahh!  You never know how it's going to be going to a new place, especially one you had reservations about, but I'm glad I put those aside and went - best and most relaxing vaca of my life:)

I wish we had more time for everything - more sightseeing, more excursions, but especially more restaurants!  There were restaurants everywhere, and we only got to a sample a few.  I'm going to talk about one below - definitely let me know if you have questions, or if you have been there before too and want to add your two cents:)

  • El Gaucho - http://www.elgaucho-aruba.com/  - definitely make a reservation ahead of time!  Very large restaurant with very nice, Argentine-feeling decor.  The mood is set by a wonderful mariachi pair, and the wonderful sound of people having a great time!  We started off with their complimentary garlic bread (much better than the garlic bread we had the night before at Gianni's) and their "appetizer" ribs - seemed more like a meal to me!

10 huge ribs, dipped in their awesome sauce = heaven!  I was full already, and I only had 3!  But, next came our wonderful meals, and might I say the drinks/app/dinner/dessert were spread out so nicely, we never felt like they were pushing anything at us.  But back to the meals - the husband had a huge rib eye with mashed potatoes, broccoli, and corn on the cob - not a huge fan of the sides, but the rib eye, he says, was the best he's ever had!  I had a beef tenderloin with fries, corn on the cob, and my fave, fried plantains - I loved mine, loved it, but I must say I enjoyed my tenderloin the week earlier at Grill 23 a little bit more, like maybe 5 points more, based really on the seasoning.  Still, loved it, and would definitely eat it again!  

Dessert  = flan topped with coconut - so good, but too big for me to finish!  Must have been all that other stuff;)

As you can see, we really enjoyed this restaurant because of the food and the overall atmosphere!  I would give it 9 out of 10 stars!!  Like I said, I would definitely eat this again, but most likely would try something else just to have more to rate the restaurant as a whole on!

What's next for CheyCanCook?  The Olympics!  Starting this Friday night 2/12, I'll post about the different, country-themed meals I'm making in accordance with the Olympics, and some facts to go along with it - I can't wait - for the Olympics AND the food:)  I hope this work!  I'm working on finishing up the menu tonight...but am a little stuck on Russia - any suggestions??

Glad to be back!  Now to catch up on all of YOUR blogs:) 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Aruba when I was in college and LOVED it!

Um, let me speak a word about El Gaucho... AHMAZING!
Hands down the best beef that I have EVER had. Something they do to the Argentine meat makes it incredible. I highly reccomend this place to everyone!
Did you get the dipping sauces for the beef? I remember those being delicious as well.

Looks like you guys had an incredible time... I'm envious :)

CDC said...

Yes, we got the dipping sauces - I dipped every bite into one of them! I should've mentioned them - there was a steak sauce, same as for the ribs, like a smoky/sweet sauce I would say it was, a sweet onion dip, and a garlic sauce - yum!

Do you guys have any fun vacas planned??

maria said...

Hello Friend,
It is very good to see you back home....going through the post it is wel clear that you guys have had a real good and amazing time together...and all the pictures shared in here are very beautiful.
cruise reviews

daisychain said...

welcome back!

AllThingsYummy said...

Looks like an amazing vacation. Glad you had a fabulous time.

sharyncarlson said...

Yay! Welcome back! The photos are great, it looks like it was a really lovely trip :)

melissa said...

so glad you two had a fun time :-)

CDC said...

Thanks everyone! I wish I could go back NOW!!