Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!!

Happy Thanksgiving Eve, everyone! The pumpkin pie is baking in the oven (about 6 mins left!) and I'm happily here writing from the warmth of my home - it's cold in New England today!

Anyways, I'm just making tacos tonight in preparation for Turkey Day - no, I'm not cooking tomorrow, but I don't want to make a meal where we'll have leftovers b/c I'm sure my family will send us home with a ton of them...and then I'll be looking for crazy turkey recipes!

I wanted to hopefully open up a discuss today about a few things:

1. Rachael Ray's cookbooks, specifically 30 minute meals - has anyone ever been able to really make one in 30 minutes? Do you find for most you have to go to a specialty grocery store to get some items? I'm, unfortunately, not a fan...

2. How/what is the best way to get rid of greasy oil when cooking something like hamburg in a fry pan? I've tried to do the whole lid covering the pan as much as I can, just tipping the pan, etc, but something always falls out. I read today that using a baster and sucking the greasy stuff out that way is the best - has anyone ever tried this? Any other suggestions?

3. Last one! Today when making my pumpkin pie, I had leftover filling (not just the filling from the can, but the whole mixture) - what do you do with it??

Happy Thanksgiving, and don't be afraid to show how grateful you are:)

5 comments:

:-) said...

Sorry I dont have the answers but not I do want tacos =)

CDC said...

well i hope you have the stuff to make them, or live near a taco bell, renee!! hehe

Anonymous said...

I can't answer question number one because I don't own any RR cookbooks. My answer to #2 is that we always grill our burgers, even in when it's bitter cold here in MN. There used to be something that prevented grease from splattering that you could get in a kitchen store. As I recall it was a wire mesh thing that sat over the pan. Maybe you could try something like that? Or, we have an electric griddle that we make bacon on and it has a removable grease catcher. Very handy.
I think you could take your left over PP filling and put it in a custard cup and bake it right along the pie. It probably won't take as long to bake as the pie.

Kacey said...

Hey there, thanks for checking out Kacey's Kitchen! I'm enjoying yours!
Here are some suggestions to your questions:
1)I love Rachael Ray because her recipes can really be cooked in the allotted time, and they are 'real'. For the past 7 years or so I've lived without the luxury of any sort of gourmet stores, and have been able use her recipes. Most things she uses can be easily substituted for your own personal twist also!
2)One of those splatter shields would work, but it gets a bit tricky if your pan is very heavy. A baster might work also. Another idea is if you have an all metal strainer (placed over a plate or bowl), you can just pour all of the hamburger into it.
3)Leftover pumpkin pie filling is an excellent addition to pancakes or waffles, and usually the perfect amount. Add a pinch of brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon for extra flavor!

Hope that helps! Goodluck!

CDC said...

thanks for the tips about the grease and pie filling, kacey! i am enjoying your site as well! maybe it's the rachael ray cookbook i have, b/c it seems like every time a recipe sounds good, it lists some ingredient i've either never heard of (and of course then lookup). I also never seem to be able to finish in 30 minutes, for most. Maybe it's me;)