Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fajita Friday!


Woohoo! We looked forward to Fajita Friday all week on the meal board!! For some reason, I am good at making fajitas, cookies, and omelets...strange;) Anyways, I usually make some sort of Mexican recipe once a week, as we love it (thank you $5 Mexican cookbook at Marshall's), but this is something I thought of that works!!

You need:

A type of protein - I usually use, and did use, stew meat cut into bite sized pieces this week. You can also use chicken, shrimp, any kind of fish, even pork I bet!
2 green peppers cut into slices
2 red peppers cut into slices
1 white onion cut into slices
brown sugar
hot sauce
chili powder
lime juice

Heat fry pan or skillet over medium high heat, adding about 1-2 tbsps of olive oil when heated. Add cut-up veggies first, as they will take longer to tenderize. After about 5 minutes of those cooking, add the meat. In a bowl, combine brown sugar and chili powder....but wait wait wait. I am usually the master of measuring things, but for whatever reason, with this recipe I am not...I use atleast 1/4 cup brown sugar, or more if I think it looks like it needs more, and I just sprinkle chili powder until I think it looks good - I'd say it's probably atleast a tablespoon. Stir this up and pour over the veggies/meat in the pan. Then start shakin' on the hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot - again until it looks right to you. I use probably atleast 1/4 cup. Stir everything up and let continue to cook.

Once everything is cooked to your liking, either turn the temp up to high, and pour the lime juice over the mixture and watch it sizzle, just like in the restaurant, or if you have fancy fajita dishes, add the mixture to your fancy plate and then squirt with lime juice - it should sizzle just the same.

I think sometime I'll surprise the husband with fajita week, using all different kinds of meats/fish/veggies and see how he likes it...that might be a little much though;)

Anyways, once sizzling, turn off heat, add mixture to warmed tortilla wraps (I usually warm 6 at a time in the microwave for 25 seconds) and any other topping you may want (husband adds sour cream, I add avocado) and enjoy! YUM and perfect for a Friday night:)

Next - I'm thinking I might start talking about some cookbooks I like and some I just really don't like...I'll just say for now, sorry Rachael Ray fans! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and go Patriots!

1 comment:

melissa said...

o.m.g. trying this one this week!