Friday, March 12, 2010

Yes, I'm still cooking from the freezer/cabinet leftovers:)

Happy Friday, everyone!  We made it thru another week!  The freezer is looking great, and next week will be the week I really tackle the cabinet with the canned items and boxed items!  Woohoo, how exciting;) 

Last night I made Baked Pork and Shrimp Wontons with leftover ground pork and shrimp.  As I suspected Wednesday night, it was time consuming, and since I grocery shopped, had to put that stuff away, etc, we ate dinner at 8pm.  I am not a fan of this.  I like to eat around 6:30.  I felt like I ate and it was time for bed!

Nonetheless, they were pretty tasty - I say pretty tasty because I felt they needed something more...maybe once you read the ingredients you can suggest something - a veggie, a sauce, a seasoning, something was just missing.  Husband gave them a 9.5 - I need a 10!

What you'll need:

  • 1 package of wonton wrappers - I used about 25 of them and had plenty of mixture left with l lb ground pork - I was sick of folding them, though!
  • 1/2 lb - 1 lb ground pork
  • 1/2 lb small shrimp, uncooked, but de-shelled, and minced
  • 8 water chestnuts, finely chopped
  • 2 scallions finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 lg egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
Preheat oven to 375.  Combine all ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes.  Lightly spray a baking sheet with Pam.  Put 1 tsp of the mixture on each wonton wrapper and fold into somewhat of a pocket; seal with a small amount of water.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and cooked thru.

Sounds easy right?  Well spooning that mixture onto each (about 20) wonton wrappers and folding them up takes a lot of time, too much for when you're starting to make dinner at 6:50! 

Did I forget to mention I have a steamer, which would be great for these things, but I'm scared to use it!?!

The best part of the meal to me was the Beef Rice-A-Roni.  All stuff from the freezer/cabinet makes me very happy though:)

Tonight was frozen flounder with crab stuffing that I did buy fresh last week and froze.  Easy, and nothing fancy because it's Friday night, and you know what, I am t-i-r-e-d!! 

I'm going back to watching the Bourne Identity with the husband hopefully followed by Up in the Air:)  See you all later this weekend AND please give me suggestions for those wontons - I'll post a picture of them later.

Last but not least - it's a Friday night, what's your drink of choice?  Mine you ask?

8 comments:

sharyncarlson said...

Wow, I've never tried making my own wontons. They sound really yummy to me, but I would probably add some garlic. We are thinking about seeing Up in the Air... would love to hear what you think!

Pam said...

Yum - they sound delicious.

CDC said...

Sharyn - not hard at all, just time consuming! I think garlic would be a great addition!

We watched Up in the Air last night, after the Bourne movie, and loved it! Superb acting and a lot of little lessons through out - I was impressed by all 3 main characters, and I felt I saw a different side of Clooney's acting...definitely watch it!

thanks, Pam!

Diane Schmidt said...

Sounds yummy! I'm following and hope you'll have time to stop by and see my blog :)

motherrimmy said...

I love that your cleaning out the pantry. I definitely forces you to be creative in your cooking. I think these sound delicious!

Sara said...

Those sound delicious! I have been trying to cook more with what is in my freezer and pantry, but not with as much success as you, I don't think.
I agree with Sharyn, some garlic, and maybe some finely minced green onion?

CDC said...

thanks diane - stopped by your site and loved it:)

thanks mother rimmy!

sara, im sure you'll have success! im thinking garlic too, as i did use scallions, maybe just not enough? we'll see how it goes next time:)

melissa said...

garlic is good in everything ;-)