Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wicked Cheap Wednesday - non-St. Patrick's Day related, oops!

Sorry to all of you hoping for a St. Patty's Day post - not a fan of cornbeef and cabbage...any recommendations I can try for next year?

Since I'm still using what's in our freezer/cabinets, I made/improvised a recipe from the side of a can of turkey gravy.  It became a hot turkey and stuffing sandwich!  Yes, yes, I forgot the cranberry sauce and have profusely apologized to the husband - I apologize, again!  Will not happen again!  See what happens when I don't put something on my list - it gets forgotten!  Does this happen to you?

You will need:

  • 1 lb turkey breast pieces - either deli meat or cutlets - I used cutlets - $5.50
  • 1 10.75 oz can of turkey gravy - $1.00
  • 1 box turkey stuffing - $1.50
  • bulky rolls - .75 cents
  • 1 box of frozen breakfast sausage - $1.00 on sale
Plus salad stuff and fries we already had = $9.75!  I didn't eat it because I was/am still down and out with the bug, but it smelled good, I think;)  The husband ate 2 sandwiches (hefty ones) and there was enough left for at least 2 more.  Very simple, thank goodness because I didn't have the energy or attention span to put too much thought into this one!

Preheat oven to 350.  Make stuffing as directed on the box.  While that is pretty much making itself, cook the entire box, 10 pieces, of breakfast sausage in the microwave for 5 minutes.  When done, cut into very small pieces, add to the cooked stuffing, and place all of it in an 8x8 pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until crispy.

While that is happening, heat the can of gravy to a boil in a skillet.  Once boiling, add the turkey pieces and cook until done.  Once both that and the stuffing are done, load as much as you'd like onto any kind of bread/roll you'd like and eat up! 

And oh yes, cranberry sauce...

Here's hoping tomorrow night I can eat the recipe I make :(

3 comments:

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write said...

Feel better Chey! Atleast you remembered St. Patty's in your post. I'm such a scrouge. Wait. Wrong holiday. :p

Pam said...

Sorry you aren't feeling better yet. The sandwich sounds delicious!

CDC said...

Haha Jasmine, it's okay - I should've planned better and made an appropriate St. Patty's day meal - next year ;) Hope you feel better!

Thanks Pam, finally feeling a little better today:)