Wednesday, January 27, 2010

CheyCanCook...and Drive...unlike others...Spicy Turkey Stirfry still made, though:)

Hi world - today I started my day as I always do - up and at em, breakfast, warm my nice, damage-free car up, and drive the 35 minutes to work...oh wait, today I made it 10 minutes before another wonderful driver ran a stop sign and hit my car!   My car is damaged, my arm is a little sore because my body jerked when she hit my car so hard, but I'm overall a-ok.  But what the heck!  Not how I like to start my day.  But, I handle accident claims for my job, so I know how it goes, what to do, etc, so I'm just glad I'm okay.  Now I can tell all  my people that  hey you got in an accident, so didn't I!

I rested all day because of the arm soreness and headache (from stress I think), but luckily had planned a quick, Wicked  Cheap Wednesday meal that I still had the enthusiasm (well half enthusiasm) to make:)  I really really liked it, one of my fave recipes in awhile, and I can't wait to make it again...but then again, maybe this meal is bad luck...anyway...

What you'll need:

  • 1 lb turkey breast meat, I bought mine in thin strips, like you'd use for a scallopini, and cut the pieces into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 8 oz frozen red, yellow, and green peppers
  • Asian 5-spice (I had never heard of it, and couldn't find it in the grocery store), so I used my own 5 spices - dashes of CRP, cinnamon, poultry seasoning, ground ginger, and ground coriander
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 package of Knorr Asian sides teriyaki noodles, prepared as directed
  • honey roasted peanuts, chopped or whole, whatever you prefer
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add one tbsp oil - when heated, add peppers and cook/stir for 3 minutes.  While those are cooking, place the bite-sized turkey pieces into a bowl and cover with all 5 seasonings and salt and pepper.  Stir to coat.



Once the 3 minutes are up, add the other tbsp of olive oil, then the turkey, cooking about 15 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked-thru.

While this is cooking, cook the teriyaki noodles as directed.  When both are finished, place the noodles on your plate, then the pepper/turkey mixture, and then the peanuts - sooooo good, and very light, a definite keeper!!




 


This recipe was adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I received as a wedding shower gift last year = loved it, and loved that I could put my own spin on it:)  Here is the cost breakdown:

  • turkey - around $5.00
  • 1/2 package of 16 oz of peppers - .85 cents
  • noodles - $1.50
  • peanuts - $2.50
= $9.85!  I already had all the spices, or it would've cost a bit more, but I'll take it!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me!  Tomorrow I really need to get in the mindset for this that is on Saturday - keep us in your thoughts as my husband, myself, and a lot of his family members do this for a very worthy cause!

Enjoy your night:)

7 comments:

sharyncarlson said...

I'm glad to hear that you're okay after the accident!!

CDC said...

thanks sharyn, me too!

melissa said...

darn framingham drivers! did you tell her you work in insurance?

CDC said...

darn them is right! oh yes, but not until after she tried to tell me it was my fault b/c "didn't i see her" - yes, i did, and i swerved silly lady - btw, did you see the stop sign you had? you didn't, and you didn't stop, that's wonderful. it was a fun chat we had

Alicia Foodycat said...

Glad you are OK! I am so sure being in an accident is a good excuse for not cooking though.

CDC said...

Foodycat, cooking was the only part of the day that relaxed me, actually! :)

Melissa said...

Aw, sorry about your accident! Glad you're okay. And yes, dang it, try the trout next time. ;)