Monday, November 16, 2009

The best pork recipe ever!





Once again, thank you cooks.com! I love to go thru and thru recipes on that site, and was lucky to come across the 2 of the 3 recipes I made tonight (the other was a green bean casserole from the side of the fried onion container thing;)) - the Chinese Style BBQ Pork and fried rice. I've never had/made a pork dish that is so tasty and moist, I could eat it everyday! Usually, I can only eat chocolate everyday;)

The only negative about this meal is that it is time-consuming to make (give yourself about an hour), but I'm lucky enough that I don't usually have any distractions while I cook, unless you count a hungry husband who comes in looking for cheez-it's to tide himself over;) Someday I will have children and this recipe will only be for special occasions:)

For the pork you will need:

2 small boneless pork loins, about 1 lb each - I HATE buying pre-sauced pork loins, so go for it and buy the un-sauced pork loins and make your own sauce:)
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbsp dry sherry
1 tbsp grated prepared horseradish ***I used horseradish mustard actually***
1 tsp wasabi powder or dry mustard ***I've only used the dry mustard***
1/4 cup sugar

Overnight, or atleast one hour before, you'll want to place the pork loins in a pyrex-type dish and mix together all of the other ingredients and pour that mixture over the loins and place in the fridge, turning the loins often to soak up all that good stuff!

Pre-heat oven to 350. Cover a baking sheet with foil and place the loins on that sheet. Pour marinade that is left in the container over the loins and bake for 25 minutes, then turn and cook another 25 minutes. The internal temperature should be 165 when it's completely done ***note - mine took 45 minutes total to reach 165 instead of 50, so make sure you check them:)***

ALWAYS let the pork rest for atleast 15 minutes before cutting into - gotta let those juices rage throughout!

Now while this is baking, you cannot rest! Time to make the rice! So far I have only made it as "fried rice," not chicken fried rice, etc. If you do add meat, 6 ounces should be plenty.

Alright the rice - I was very scared to try it, because we saw it made right in front of us on our honeymoon...no not in China, but in the Dominican;) I may not be able to flip it all around, but I think it tastes just as good:)

For the rice you will need:

1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp low sodium teriyaki sauce
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
pinch of white or black pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup diced white onion
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 1/2 cup cooked white rice ***I use 2 bags of the boil in 10 minute-type white rice***
1/2 cup frozen peas

Now you'll notice in my pictures that there are no carrots - the first time I made it with the shredded carrots, I loved it, but the husband isn't such a fan of carrots so I graciously left them out for him tonight:)

Combine any meat you may be using, again I used none, 2 tbsps of water, chicken broth, teriyaki sauce, ginger, and pepper in a bowl and let sit. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp of veg oil, add the beaten eggs, and cook, stirring until set but still moist. When the eggs are complete, move them out of the skillet and onto a plate and keep warm. Add another tbsp of veg oil to the same skillet, heat, and add onion (and carrots), stir frying this mixture for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice and peas and cook until the rice begins to brown. Add the mixture that has been sitting and the egg and cook 5 minutes longer until heated thru. Soooo yummy, I really could eat it everyday:)

Again, I cooked a green bean casserole as a side, but any veg would do:) I hope you try these recipes out and enjoy them as much as the Cormier's do:) This meal makes enough for 4 dinner helpings and then 3 leftover containers - which is great!



BTW, is anyone else watching Dancing with the Stars?!? Who's gonna take it this season??

3 comments:

melissa said...

i looooove green bean casserole! I am going to have to try this recipe for mmb...i think he'd love it!

CDC said...

i know you do;) do you do anything special to it? this is the recipe i emailed you awhile back saying he'd like, he definitely will!!

melissa said...

just a little extra splash of Worcestershire ;-)

I'm putting in on the menu for next week!